During the recently concluded 505 Games Showcase, Forbidden Studios has revealed that the first-person survival action-adventure game Among the Trolls will be heading to early access on Steam later this year.
In Among the Trolls, you play as either Alex or Anna, who traveled from the U.S. to Finland to visit their grandparents, living in an isolated cabin located among the towering trees. When you find that the cabin has been abandoned and your Grandparents have vanished, you are pulled into a world of Nordic mythology and memories of childhood summers spent with your loved ones.
The developers have revealed that the game will support co-op multiplayer with up to four players and can play through the story campaign cooperatively as well. The current planned map size is 3.5×3.5 kilometers but not all of it is walkable due to hills, mountains, and a large lake which will eventually be accessible via a boat later in the game.
Further on, players will also unlock a crafting tree by finding the right ingredients from the world or by unlocking patterns and recipes from quests. Seasons are also present in-game and are bound into world locations, so as you progress in the game, some locations will adapt seasonal changes like shorter daytime, colder temperatures, snowstorms, and much more.
Among the Trolls Key Features
- Finnish Folklore: Experience and explore a vast world full of Finnish folklore, mythology, and ancient shamanistic magic.
- Find your Roots: Start an empowering adventure as you unearth your past and be prepared to discover more about the mysterious disappearance of your grandparents.
- Survival: Build, settle, and survive in the idyllic but sometimes unforgiving, Finnish backcountry, using your skills to discover the secrets of your ancestors.
- Magical Attributes: Gain Sisu (Grit), Väki (Magic) and Lykky (Luck), which are key to survival among the trolls. Learn how these ancient traits affect and intertwine with other character attributes and with the surrounding environment, the player’s actions, natural resources, and natural and supernatural creatures.
- Audiovisual Experience: Enter a beautifully crafted 3D world, combining nostalgia, strangeness, as well as modern and ancient instrumentation, merged with the authentic sounds of Nordic nature that will make you want to stay forever among the trolls.
An early access roadmap for the game was also revealed:
Among the Trolls is planned for early access on Steam later this year.