Earlier this week, it was revealed that Overwatch 2 would be going free-to-play and is set to release on October 4, 2022. A beta is also coming on June 28 for consoles and PC, where players will be able to test out the newly introduced hero, The Junker Queen.
During a special reveal event stream, the Overwatch 2 team detailed their plans for the game, which include the addition of a battle pass, seasonal updates, new heroes, new game modes, and much more.
Overwatch 2 Cross-progression, Crossplay, Battle Pass, and Roadmap
As the game goes free-to-play, calling it a natural step forward for the game, Overwatch 2 will be adding cross-progression and will allow players to experience the game across platforms without losing out on progress. Crossplay will also be implemented and tested during the upcoming beta.
The modernized live service model will see the game bring a Battle Pass and an all-new and consistently updated in-game shop.
The Overwatch 2 team also shared a detailed roadmap, which looks at the future updates of the game spanning until 2023.
Overwatch 2 Watchpoint Pack
A Watchpoint pack was also introduced, which will give players everything they need to get a headstart in the game, such as Legendary Hero skins and immediate access to the beta launching later this month
- Guaranteed Access to the Overwatch 2 PvP Crossplay Beta (Beta begins June 28th, 2022)
- Overwatch: Legendary Edition (includes five (5) Legendary Skins, and five (5) Epic Skins)
- Premium Battle Pass: Season 1
- Two (2) Legendary Hero Skins – Space Raider Soldier 76 and Space Raider Cassidy
- 2000 Virtual Currency
- Player Icon (Watchpoint Pack pre-purchase exclusive)