When you talk about RTS games, it really doesn’t get any more iconic than Warcraft 3. Back when it was released in 2002, Warcraft 3 set the bar high for the genre and would be known as one of the pillars of RTS games as a whole.
Fast forward to 2020 and thanks to modern technology, we get to experience a full scale modernization of a classic as Warcraft 3: Reforged is now available.
Warcraft 3: Reforged is a reimagining of the 2002 classic that combines Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne in one complete package. It contains a robust single-player story spanning seven individual campaigns and over 60 missions across 4 factions, a top-to-bottom overhaul of its graphics and sound, up-to-date social and matchmaking features via Blizzard’s Battle.net, and a revamped World Editor to power the community’s creations.
“Warcraft III is one of our proudest achievements as a company, and we’re honored that so many players around the world still hold it up as a paragon of the RTS genre,” said J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment. “With Warcraft III: Reforged, our biggest goal was to modernize the game while retaining everything that players have loved about it, and we hope everyone agrees that we’ve done it justice.”
- Complete Graphical Overhaul: Warcraft III: Reforged brings the original game into the modern era with fully overhauled characters, structures, environments, animations, and graphical effects.
- Multiplayer Between Versions: Players will be able to do battle with anyone who plays Warcraft III, regardless of whether they’re playing the original or
- Higher-Fidelity Audio: Warcraft III’s audio has been remastered and improved for Reforged, including the game’s original voice-over recordings.
- Rebuilt World Editor: Reforged features an all-new World Editor designed to empower the game’s longstanding creator community to reach new heights, with hundreds of new triggers, LUA scripting support, new tools for importing models, and more enhancements planned for the future.
- Full Battle.net Implementation: Players will enjoy the full suite of Battle.net features to bolster their Warcraft III experience, including text and voice chat, groups, and seamless installation and patching.
Players can purchase Warcraft III: Reforged digitally from the Blizzard Shop. The standard edition is available for $29.99; for $39.99, players can purchase the Spoils of War Edition, which comes with unique hero skins for Arthas, Cenarius, Jaina, and Thrall. Also included with the Spoils of War Edition are a host of in-game bonuses for other Blizzard games, such as the gruesome Meat Wagon mount for World of Warcraft®, the Third War cardback for Hearthstone®, the Mal’ganis pet for Diablo III®, and more.