DualSense Controllers Can Now Be Updated Using A PC, No Need For PS5
Sony has announced that players who own a DualSense controller can now use their PCs to update the firmware through a new app.
The app is called, wait for it… Firmware updater for DualSense wireless controller, and you can download it through HERE. What this does is that it lets you connect your controller to your PC through a USB cable and update the firmware from there.
The instructions are pretty straightforward but if you need a step by step breakdown, see below:
- Download [Firmware updater for DualSense wireless controller] and save it to your desktop or other location.
- Run the installation file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the app.
- During the installation, you might see a request to download additional software that’s needed to use [Firmware updater for DualSense wireless controller]. To download this software, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Launch [Firmware updater for DualSense wireless controller].
- Use a USB cable to connect your controller to your Windows PC, and then follow the on-screen instructions to start the update.
- Don’t turn off your Windows PC or disconnect the USB cable during the update.
- When the update is complete, a message appears. Select [OK] to finish the process.
DualSense Controller Firmware Updater App Requirements
The application has very minimal requirements, which you can see below:
|Windows 10 (64 bit) or Windows 11
|10 MB or more
|1024 × 768 or higher
Prior to this, you needed a PS5 console to update the firmware of your controller, even going as far as connecting it to your console without the option to do this wirelessly which presents a hassle for certain setups. Ideally, Sony can come up with an update that lets us do this whole firmware update wirelessly but in the meantime, updating it using your PC is a good start.
Sony has been pushing for a number of their first-party titles to make their way to the PC, with the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War seeing good sales numbers soon after it was released for PC players. Updating your DualSense controllers will ensure that you always get the best performance out of it, especially when playing these titles on your rigs.