Creative Assembly and Sega have announced through the Total War Blog that A Total War Saga: Troy will be… wait for it… FREE for the first 24 hours when it releases on August 13.
The catch? There is no catch… Well, it’ll be exclusive to the Epic Games Store for 1 year before launching elsewhere. After the 24 hour period, the game will revert to it’s original price.
To accompany the announcement, a new trailer was unveiled as well:
It was clarified that this Epic exclusivity deal is for Troy specifically and there are “no plans for future games to be Epic exclusives.”, citing the objective to “reach new audiences and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves.”
Below is an overview of the game as seen from the Epic Games Store page:
- Dive into Greek Myth – Inspired by The Iliad—Homer’s sweeping tale of romance and bloodshed—A Total War Saga: TROY focuses on the historical flashpoint of the Trojan War, bringing the conflict to life as never before.
- Experience the Trojan War – TROY explores this legendary conflict from both the Greek and Trojan perspectives, peeling back the layers of myth and legend to reveal the realities that may have inspired them.
- Choose Your Hero – Fight to save or conquer the kingdom of Troy as one of eight iconic heroes, including the infamous warrior Achilles, noble protector Hector, wayward prince Paris and vengeful king Menelaus.
- Build a Bronze Age Empire – Through Total War’s blend of grand, turn-based empire management and spectacular real-time battles, your actions can turn the tide of the war. Build your empire through strategy, statecraft, diplomacy and all-out war, as you conquer this vast and striking recreation of the Bronze Age Mediterranean.
- Fight Alongside Mythic Units – Inspired by the famed creatures of Greek myth, you can call mythic units to your aid in the heat of battle, including fighters that resemble the Minotaur, the Cyclops, Giants and Centaurs.