Update – Capcom additionally informed the public through an official statement the extent of the breach, which included employee information, sales reports, financial information, and confidential corporate information, among others.
Original – Capcom is the latest company to have been the recipient of a brutal cyber attack. Coming from the Capcom website, they revealed that they “experienced issues that affected access to certain systems, including email and file servers. The company has confirmed that this was due to unauthorized access carried out by a third party,” While this is the case, they reinforced that no customer information has been obtained.
A ResetEra thread states the cyber attack has resulted in over 1TB in data about various projects. Apparently, a ransom of 1.1 Billion Yen ($11 Million) is being asked but with Capcom deciding to decline the buyout, the hackers have released data which shows some very interesting items.
According to the thread, here is a summary of the leak:
- Resident Evil Village details (Current-gen release, April launch, Demo before release)
- New multiplayer Resident Evil referred to internally as Project Highway/Village Online. It’s a Battle Royale of some sort.
- New Ace Attorney collection for PS4 and Switch (AA1-3 and DGS1-2)
- New project codenamed “GUILLOTINE” for Switch in February, PS4/XB1/PC in May
- Monster Hunter Rise on PC releasing October 2021(?). Demos for Switch in January and March
- Monster Hunter Stories 2 on PC. Targeting June 2021 Switch/PC release
- Resident Evil 4 for Oculus VR
- New Shooter Multiplayer game titled “SHIELD” geared towards streamers
- Source Code for DMC2 and Umbrella Chronicles
- Stadia paid Capcom $10 million USD to put RE7 and RE8 on the platform. Sony paid $5 million USD for VR/timed DLC/demo exclusivity.
Some of the items are particularly interesting. Back in TGS, it was revealed that PS4 and Xbox One versions of Resident Evil Village are being considered but it looks to be final, based on the leak.
Another interesting tidbit is that Monster Hunter Rise, a supposed Switch exclusive, will be making its way to the PC as well with a target date of October 2021.
Lastly, there are 2 projects under the name of “SHIELD” and “GUILLOTINE”, which are unknown at this point. Guillotine seems to be releasing in February for the Switch, and May for everyone else. Shield seems to be a new multiplayer shooter.