After a disastrous 2K20 release that saw criticism about the franchise skyrocket, it was unclear how the franchise was going to move forward. Prior to WWE 2K22, they tried to go a different direction with Battlegrounds, but fans wanted a return to form that would give the game justice. Well, 2K and Visual Concepts are back and as early as now, it’s already looking to be a much more improved experience that should please fans of the long-running series.
In terms of visuals alone, WWE 2K22 looks stunning and the upcoming release will feature a redesigned gameplay engine, new controls, the heavily requested MyGM mode, along with a franchise first MyFACTION that will surely make it hit different.
WWE 2K22 Top 10 Features and Innovations
To sum up the new features that players can look forward to, here’s a summary provided by 2K:
- Redesigned Gameplay Engine: The most important change in WWE 2K22 is in the engine itself. Visual Concepts redesigned the gameplay and animation engine from the ground up to make every dive, kickout, and finisher feel as real as if players were sitting ringside at WrestleMania. As soon as players pick up the controller, they’ll feel the difference;
- New Controls: The updated and incredibly intuitive control scheme hits different this year. Configured to ensure that players have more control over every move, in every situation, WWE 2K22 is easy to pick up and play, while still allowing for high-skill expression;
- Stunning Graphics: Simply put, WWE 2K22 boasts the best-ever graphics of the WWE 2K Scanning and animations are executed using the same industry-leading process as Visual Concepts’ NBA 2K franchise and the team overhauled lighting and relit the game from the ground up;
- Immersive Presentation: The most dynamic entry in the series to date will take players out of the crowd and into the ring, creating an authentic WWE feeling throughout the game;
- New WWE 2K Showcase: Players can take a walk down memory lane and relive a legendary WWE Superstar’s most iconic matches and moments;
- MyGM: Players will draft superstars, book matches, manage contracts, and prove they have what it takes to run the most successful brand in sports entertainment;
- MyFACTION: In a franchise-first, the all-new MyFACTION puts players in control of building a legendary faction that rivals the iconic nWo. Players will collect, manage, and upgrade Superstars, with weekly events and regular updates;
- MyRISE: An opportunity for players to experience the journey of a WWE Superstar from the humble beginnings of a Rookie, followed by the fanfare as a Superstar, and then immortalized as a Legend. New storylines will be available for both male and female MyPLAYERs;
- Universe Mode: Universe Mode returns, offering players more control than ever before over brands, PPVs, match results, rivalries, and much more;
- Creation Suite: The Creation Suite is back and better than ever. Players can be themselves or someone/something entirely different, with all sorts of wild options and fantasy elements, then step into the ring at anytime and anywhere in the world.
WWE 2K22 is currently scheduled for release in March 2022.