After much discussion and confusion, Sony and Insomniac have given a first look at Spider-Man Remastered for the PlayStation 5.
As detailed on the PlayStation Blog, Spider-Man Remastered is not just a simple remaster. Described as “the definitive version of the game with new assets, technology, and updates”, this version will take advantage of the new technology of the PlayStation 5, allowing for a full next-gen version of the game.
For starters, not only did Insomniac improve all the models in the game, they also introduced ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, which should be a marvel (heh) to look at.
Character models have gotten a huge upgrade as well, even as far as recasting the face of Peter Parker.
Meet Ben Jordan, and you can see him in action in this clip below:
Your first question is probably “Why change Peter Parker?” Here’s what Insomniac have to say about the change:
In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console.
Being remastered on the PlayStation 5 has its perks, and Insomniac is giving players things like near-instant loading, spatial 3D audio, and haptic feedback care of the DualSense controller. They’ve also added a performance mode, giving players the option to swing through the city in 60fps, similar to Miles Morales.
You can check out the improvements in this gameplay clip below (spoiler alert – it looks buttery smooth!):
Insomniac have also added three new suits in the game, and here’s a peek at one of them, The Amazing Suit from the original Amazing Spider-Man film.
Spider-Man Remastered is looking every bit as awesome as we imagined it to be, but do note that it will only be available to Spider-Man: Miles Morales purchases and won’t be a standalone purchase.
In case it wasn’t clear, we’ve broken it down for everybody:
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales will be releasing for BOTH the PS4 and PS5.
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales will have an Ultimate Edition only for the PS5. The Ultimate Edition contains the base Miles Morales game and Spider-Man Remastered, retailing for $69.99.
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales for the PS4 will have a free upgrade path for the PS5 BUT if you have the PS4 game on a physical disc and proceed to purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you won’t be able to access the upgrade. Obviously.
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales owners for the PS4 can upgrade to the PS5 version for free and additionally, can purchase a $20 upgrade for the Ultimate Edition, granting access to Spider-Man Remastered.
- The PS4 Spider-Man game will be compatible with the PS5 BUT will not have any of the remastered upgrades like updated graphics, faster loading, etc.
- Save data from the PS4 Spider-Man game will NOT be compatible with Spider-Man: Remastered because it is a “new” game.
Spider-Man Remastered will be available for download at the same time Miles Morales is available during the PlayStation 5 launch, which will be on November 12 or 19, depending on where you are in the world.