SEGA has introduced four new exhilarating and varied battle systems that players will be able to use in Like a Dragon: Ishin! when it releases on February 22, 2023, for the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series, and PC.
Players will be able to freely switch between four styles during combat in Like a Dragon: Ishin!: Swordsman, Gunman, Wild Dancer, and Brawler. These styles have a massive influence on how you strategize your fights and choosing the optimal style can greatly affect the difficulty of the battle.
Swordsman is a power-oriented style in Like a Dragon: Ishin! with each blow dealing heavy damage. Charged attacks are possible, and you can also deflect bullets and blades while guarding. This style is easy to pick up since it excels at both offense and defense and is especially useful in 1-on-1 battles, like showdowns with bosses.
- Summer Rainfall – Among the basic Swordsman techniques, one of the most useful abilities, when used effectively, is “Summer Rainfall”. Using this skill successfully will break the enemy’s guard, allowing you to proactively attack foes who are on the defensive.
- Special Move: Dragonfang Flash – With this skill, you will unsheathe your sword and then dash at an enemy at blinding speed, striking them. After attacking, you can immediately dash to another nearby enemy, allowing you to slash multiple foes one by one.
Gunman is a style in Like a Dragon: Ishin! characterized by long-range shooting attacks. You can fire “special ammo” which comes
with a wide variety of effects, like poison or burn. While you normally cannot guard against blades and bullets, equipping armor with certain effects will allow you to do so.
- Roaring Fusillade – This skill can be activated during a Rush Combo. It unleashes a wide spread of shots, hitting multiple enemies. Leveling up the skill will allow you to shoot more rounds.
- Special Move: Dragonfire Blaze – You aim and shoot multiple bullets all at once. The damage can be spread across multiple enemies or focused onto a single foe. Leveling up this skill will increase the number of bullets and allow the use of special ammo.
In Wild Dancer, Blades and firearms are woven together in this Like a Dragon: Ishin! style. You can also dodge enemy attacks with dance-like movements. This style is effective when you are surrounded or facing off against large numbers of foes. By continually evading, you can put yourself in a better position or create distance between you and your enemies.
- Phoenix Frenzy – Phoenix Frenzy uses both blades and firearms to attack surrounding enemies. This skill can be canceled by evading, and then reactivated later. Proficient users of Phoenix Frenzy will be able to lay waste to their foes without pause.
- Special Move: “Dragon God Dance” – Slash and shoot while spinning around and moving, laying waste to enemies. With a large attack radius, this skill is particularly effective when surrounded by many foes.
Brawler is a Like a Dragon: Ishin! style that is characterized by using fists and quickness. While these attacks aren’t the hardest- hitting, they pack a lot of speed. You can also pick up objects from the ground and use them during fights. Parrying while in Brawler style will activate “War Cry Counter”, granting invulnerability for a short period of time. This will allow you to focus solely on pummeling your enemies.
- Parry – Parrying an enemy’s attack right before it hits will cause them to stumble. This will also activate War Cry Counter, allowing you to go on the offensive.
- Special Move: “Dragonwing Sortie” – A powerful technique that unleashes a barrage of attacks on a single enemy. This is particularly useful when you want to target a certain foe.
Like a Dragon: Ishin! is scheduled to release for the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series, and PC on February 22, 2023.