The Nintendo Switch is not showing signs of slowing down, as its latest financial report has shown highly impressive numbers, with the Switch now officially outselling the Nintendo 3DS with 79.87 million units as of December 31, 2020.
Senior Analyst at Niko Partners Daniel Ahmad points out an interesting fact that out of the 79.87 million units, 13.53 million of those are Switch Lite units, which is already nearing the Wii U’s lifetime sales of 13.56 million units, despite launching just a couple of years ago.
Software has also seen a meteoric rise, and based on official numbers from Nintendo, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Animal Crossing: New Horizons are still the best sellers.
Check out the top 10 below:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 33.41 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 31.18 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 22.85 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 21.45 million
- Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 20.35 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 20.23 million
- Super Mario Party – 13.82 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 13.00 million
- Splatoon 2 – 11.90 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 9.82 million
Another interesting tidbit is that nearly 40% of Switch owners own a copy of Animal Crossing, which greatly speaks to its popularity. In fact, the game sold more units in 2020 than the Switch and Switch Lite combined. Wow!
2020 has been very good to Nintendo, and it would be safe to say that this year won’t be any difference, especially when fans very much looking forward to titles like Monster Hunter Rise (and a Monster Hunter Rise Themed system) coming in March.
Not your type? Check out the Red and Blue Mario Themed system instead!