As part of the many shadow dropped titles by Nintendo during their recently concluded Indie World Showcase, an action RPG entitled Garden Story stands out not only because of its adorable visuals and catchy feel-good music but also because that the game was developed by just one person.
Picogram is a Filipino pixel artist and game developer based in Portland who has been working on Garden Story since 2018 and now that the game has finally launched, we can say that his efforts have finally borne fruit (heh).
Published by Rose City Games, Garden Story tells the story of Conrad, the youngest grape in The Grove, whose job is to help restore the island. Teaming up with friends, Concord will find ways to get rid of the chaos brought about by the Rot and rebuild his community.
About Garden Story:
Concord, the youngest grape in The Grove, is now a Guardian, and it’s their job to help restore the island. That’s a lot to shoulder for a grape barely off the vine… and more than a few inhabitants are skeptical they have what it takes. Fortunately, Concord has friends like Elderberry, Rana, and Fuji on their side! With their help, you can take on the dangerous Rot and find ways to encourage other residents to assist in the efforts.
The Grove is your home, and your work will affect change for the better! Protect your friends, gather precious materials, and repair social ties and structures by bringing the fruits, fungi, and frogs of each village together as they work to fend off the Rot that threatens to destroy your home for good. Guide Concord’s restoration efforts and earn the trust of the community: help others with their problems, and they’ll offer you help in turn!
There’s plenty of work to be done, but don’t forget to take time and appreciate this lush world and the fruits of your labor. Listen to the sweet and catchy music of the island, relax in The Grove’s cozy and inviting atmosphere, cultivate gardens and libraries, and enjoy the delightful personalities you’ll meet along the way.
– Explore a lush, living world: Immerse yourself in The Grove’s vibrant, organic ecosystem with four distinct (and adorable!) regions to enjoy.
– Foster community: Take on requests, complete favors, and work as a role model to provide inhabitants with the confidence to support one another. Don’t be afraid to ask for help: we’re rebuilding together!
– Combat Rot: Solve puzzles and fend off Rot as you delve into particularly infested locations of The Grove. Take caution: especially formidable Rot have taken residence in the depths of these areas!
– Experiment with equipment: Utilize a variety of items to help gather resources, grow gardens, stave off Rot, solve puzzles, and indulge in the occasional musical interlude!
– Cultivate your home: Care for garden plots, gather resources, curate libraries, upgrade your tools, and rebuild structures.